Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Fanfarlo @ The Echo this Monday, 11/23



I'm currently listening to a tasty cover of "In the Aeroplane over the Sea," the third cover I have watched from the Fanfarlo myspace page. The indie-rock boy wizard, my roommate Jon, turned me on to this band and their upcoming show at the Echo this coming Monday. I believe it came up during a conversation on how the hell to stand out in this age of blog madness and ten-second singles. Jon mentions that Fanfarlo hand out those plastic tubes, which when swung in a circle over your head create a strange whistle-hum similar to Jim Carrey's tractor-beam noise made by his mouth in Dumb and Dumber. "Sucked me right in..." The band hands these out to the crowd and then everyone joins-in creating a collective whoomph whilst Fanfarlo plays the next number. Sounds cool to me. So being a good little music blogger I read up and listen and so far I'm interested. Their songs sound a bit like Neutral Milk mixed with someone a little wimpier, say Andrew Bird. Their "Diary," is really cool. I read the top installment about touring Europe andthen launching right into a US tour with a ridiculously large trailer. I'm into these bands that Beavis and Butthead would have called "college music..." You know, intelligent musicians who read books (I know, crazy right?) and right poetic lyrics and paste them on the type of rich musical textures, which only multi-instrumentalists could create. Look out for the review or else I'll see you at the gig.

No comments:

Post a Comment